Sunday, February 11, 2007

No Sleep for Mommy


The past few days Liam has been sleeping well – pretty much through the night. So I took the chance and stayed up late to work on a grant application. Needless to say, I rolled into bed around midnight. Then at 4am, my husband woke me because he couldn’t sleep and wanted to talk about the house that we are considering buying. At 5am Liam woke himself up by sleep-crawling into a corner of the crib. I could tell it was going to be one of those days...and I was right.

We ended up going to the laundromat first thing, since one of our neighbors was nice enough to dry gum and those little cheddar fish crackers in the drier...what a mess! Liam snoozed most of the time in daddy’s arms while we were at the laundry. Afterwards, we spend the afternoon at a local “paint-your-own pottery” studio. I got to pick up the plate that we did for Liam’s 1/2 year birthday party last Sunday. His hand-print came out really nice (see photo)!

We ended up meeting our friends and their baby, Aidan, at the pottery studio. Together we all painted up a storm. The boys were super good. Although, I wish Liam had Aidan's knack for falling asleep anywhere. Liam willed himself awake until we got in the car to drive home. He just can't bear to miss out on any of the action.

After an 1 1/2 hour nap, Liam woke and was ready to go again. We played on the floor. Liam can't quite crawl yet, but he pushes up on his hands and knees and rocks back and forth. This usually just results in him moving further away from where he wanted to go. I the meantime, he gets around very well through a combination of rolling and pivoting around on his tummy. I was trying to encourage him to come over to me (holding a favored stuffed elephant that plays music), but he was too smart for that. Instead, he decided it was far easier to maneuver over to the couch, where his toy baskets are hiding underneath. In a jiff he was pulling out a basket and looking for another favorite toy, as if to say: "Mom, I know you don't have the only toy around here." Only six months old and he's already too smart for me!

No comments: