Monday, July 16, 2007

Naptime Woes

Sean and I have sort of resigned ourselves to co-sleeping with Liam lately. While he's teething, he is especially clingy and wants to be cuddled all night. So Liam usually only spends the first few hours of the night in his crib, then comes to bed with us when he wakes up crying. Last night was no different, except that around 2am he woke up and wouldn't settle down. I tried to get him to settle down in our bed, then in his hour later I was just too exhausted to keep going and finally gave up. I'm not proud of it, but I put him in his crib, closed the door, and went back to bed. I know that he cried (screamed really) for some time before I drifted back to sleep. The only good thing that came out of it was that he slept in till 8am for the first time ever!

Of course, getting up so late threw off what little semblance of a schedule we had going. So during the day he refused to nap. I tried laying down in bed and cuddling with him. At first I was really annoyed that he wouldn't fall asleep, though he was clearly tired and rubbing his eyes. Then I know, I should savor this moment...just laying in bed, cuddling and listening to the birds chirping through the open window and smelling his sweaty little baby head. Sigh. Time goes by too fast to get upset about the little things. Eventually (two hours later) he got a nap in. No harm in that.

He was still sleeping when Elli came over. She was tired too, but laid herself down on the floor and fell asleep. Imagine that! A little later Liam woke up. As usual, I put him on the potty after his nap. He went #1 and all was well. I left him without a diaper while I cleaned out the potty and then went to move Elli to a place where Liam wouldn't disturb her. Unfortunately, in my short absence, Liam decided he had to go #2 as well. Strangely enough, I was less upset about the big pile of cr@p on the floor (and toys) than about our napping problems earlier in the day. Luckily, Elli continued to sleep while I cleaned up Liam, the toys, and the floor covered poo. The rest of the day was pretty much without incident. He's cutting another molar (that makes 4 teeth coming in at once!) and erupts into tears about everything. Luck that I have some blueberry apple sauce frozen for him. He's slurping on a popsickle as I type.

No comments: