Sunday, April 8, 2007

Poop Doesn't Happen (for 4/7/07)

Ok, this is going to be one of those posts that my son will hate me for when he's old enough to read it. BUT...because I had to feed him formula all day on Friday, Liam was terribly constipated on Saturday. His poor digestive system just isn't used to the stuff in formula. It was so bad that he would scream and cry uncontrollably after every feeding. I've never seen him so upset. I tried aloe juice, fruit juice, water, warm baths, massages, even petroleum jelly on his bum, and still he cried in pain. I've heard stories from other moms about how there baby was constipated for a week. I can't imagine that with Liam, he's not the sort of baby that can handle being even a little bit uncomfortable...he is very sensitive.

Thankfully, I got the chance to do a little research on the steroid that I am taking and found out that it metabolizes within 2 hours of taking it...with this knowledge, I decided it was better to resume breastfeeding than to continue with the formula. For all our sake!

By late evening, he finally passed some poo! It was a triumph! He still had a few more painful bowel movements before all the formula came out of his system. In retrospect, I'm SO glad that I was able to breastfeed him since birth. I can't imagine changing formula-poo all the time! Boy is that stinky stuff! It could be used for biological warfare...really! Ok, I'm done. No more poo talk for now.

No comments: