Monday, May 28, 2007

Liam's First Voyage (May 26, 2007)

While the weather was stormy here at home, we hoped for the best and packed up the car and headed to my parents cottage in northern Indiana for the weekend. Luckily it turned out to be a lot better down there...we enjoyed a fun weekend at the lake.

Saturday afternoon, Sean collected our kayaks and canoe from storage nearby and brought them to the cottage. While Liam took his afternoon nap, we took the canoe out for a short paddle. (We bought it last spring while I was pregnant with Liam. We tried it out once before he was born, but it didn't go well. It was a windy day and the lake was choppy and I had a poor sense of balance while 7 months pregnant. Needless to say, we were worried that we weren't going to like the canoe after being kayak paddlers for many years.) This time we had a lot of fun and the boat wasn't tippy at all.

After Liam woke up, we decided to take him out for his first voyage in a boat. He wasn't very happy with me when I put on his life jacket. He cried and then had a pouty face. We all had a laugh at his expense, because he acted like he couldn't move - kinda like a little kid in a snowsuit. At first, we tried the paddle boat that came with my parents cottage. However, we soon found out that the boat was not very easy to maneuver.

Then we decided to try the canoe. Sean and I paddled, while my mom sat with Liam in the middle of the canoe. My dad captured it all on film. We had a great little trip. We paddled around the portion of the lake with cottages. Liam was very calm and took everything in and watched the water. I will add photos of the trip once my dad e-mails them to me. Stay posted...

(Paddle boat photos added June 12th, 2007)
(Canoe photos added July 8th, 2007)

No comments: